WUWM Welcomes New Board Members
May 16, 2011Board of Director Elections were held during the WUWM 27th Congress which took place in Istanbul, Turkey from 10-13 May 2011. The WUWM vice-Chairman position was open to election, along with nine Director positions.
Mr Manuel Estrada-Nora (pictured), Director of the International Department of the Spanish markets network, Mercasa, was the only candidate standing for the position of WUWM vice-Chairman. He was unanimously elected by the membership during its annual general meeting on Friday, 13 May. Mr Estrada-Nora has served for a number of years on the WUWM Board. He had also been serving as WUWM vice Chairman-elect since September 2010, as a result of the 2010 WUWM Board elections cancellation last April, due to the volcanic ash fallout in Europe necessitating the postponement of these elections for 1 year.
There were 11 candidates standing for the 9 Director positions on the Board. Those 9 persons successful in being elected to a Director position were:
- Torsten Berens, Managing Director, Hamburg Market, Germany;
- Donald Darnall, Executive Director, Maryland Food Center Authority (MFCA), Baltimore, USA;
- Huseyin Eren, Deputy Secretary General, Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality, Turkey;
- Michel Escoffier, Secretary General, FFMIN, France;
- Grzegorz Hempowicz, President, Poznan Market, Poland;
- Kim Joo-soo, President, Garak Market (SAMACO), South Korea;
- Alfredo Neme Martínez, Tultitlan Market, México;
- Marcel Verbelen, Managing Director, Mabru, Belgium;
- Graham Wallace, Head of Markets, City Markets (Glasgow) LLP, UK.
These persons, with mandates through 2013, now join the remainder of the WUWM Board of Directors which includes:
- (WUWM Chairman) Torben Flinch, Managing Director of Copenhagen Markets, Denmark;
- Zengjun Ma, Chairman of the Chinese Agricultural Wholesale Market Association (CAWA), China; and,
- Josef Podr, Managing Director, Prague Wholesale Market, Czech Republic
Staggered elections are held for a position on the WUWM Board of Directors in the spring of each year. The WUWM Board, consisting of a Chairman, vice-Chairman and (a maximum of) 11 Directors is responsible for exercising the power of the WUWM membership in the period between annual meetings, working closely with the WUWM Secretariat in providing any guidance as may be necessary for ensuring the good management of the association.
WUWM Board members may also be charged with representing particular world regions in the development of, and/or follow-up of, WUWM matters within that region.