WUWM 2016 Awards Deadline Approaching!
February 29, 2016
In follow-up to the recent FAO-WUWM formal collaboration on food waste, and in response to the recent WUWM member survey where the most significant topic of interest was indicated as being ‘reducing food loss and food waste on the market’, it was proposed that the theme of the WUWM 2016 Market Awards should be: ‘Effectiveness in Reducing Food Loss & Food Waste on the Market’.
A judging panel of three has been agreed for these awards: Torsten Berens, Michel Ganneau, and Jorge Fonseca (FAO). The major areas to be evaluated include:
- creative and innovative techniques used in the programme to minimize food loss and food waste on the market;
- cost effectiveness of the approach(es) undertaken; the long-term sustainability of the food loss and food waste programme;
- the potential for the programme to achieve zero food loss and food waste on the market; the percentage of traders/tenants participating in the market food loss and food waste programme;
- the percentage of food loss and food waste redirected by the market programme compared to the amount of total food loss and food waste generated on the market;
- the direct social impact of the food loss and food waste programme (who directly benefits from the programme); and the partners involved in making the food loss and food waste programme successful.
We clearly define ‘food loss’ and ‘food waste’ in the attached material. In short, food losses should refer to a decrease in quantity or quality, at all stages of the food chain, of food that was originally intended for human consumption. Food waste refers to removal of food, fit for consumption, from the food supply chain by choice, intentionally.
Please find attached the brochure providing more information on sending submissions for these awards (deadline 18 March 2016), as well as a copy of the official submission form. We look forward to receiving a submission from your market!
August Edition of the WUWM Newsletter is now available
September 5, 2019
Guizhou is known as 'The Big Data Center' of China
September 2, 2019
July Edition of the WUWM Newsletter is now available
August 2, 2019
A message from Maximo Torero, Assistant Director General of FAO
July 22, 2019
WUWM appointed as a member organisation of the Economic Board of the European Market Observatory
July 16, 2019