WUWM 2016 Awards Deadline Approaching!
February 29, 2016
In follow-up to the recent FAO-WUWM formal collaboration on food waste, and in response to the recent WUWM member survey where the most significant topic of interest was indicated as being ‘reducing food loss and food waste on the market’, it was proposed that the theme of the WUWM 2016 Market Awards should be: ‘Effectiveness in Reducing Food Loss & Food Waste on the Market’.
A judging panel of three has been agreed for these awards: Torsten Berens, Michel Ganneau, and Jorge Fonseca (FAO). The major areas to be evaluated include:
- creative and innovative techniques used in the programme to minimize food loss and food waste on the market;
- cost effectiveness of the approach(es) undertaken; the long-term sustainability of the food loss and food waste programme;
- the potential for the programme to achieve zero food loss and food waste on the market; the percentage of traders/tenants participating in the market food loss and food waste programme;
- the percentage of food loss and food waste redirected by the market programme compared to the amount of total food loss and food waste generated on the market;
- the direct social impact of the food loss and food waste programme (who directly benefits from the programme); and the partners involved in making the food loss and food waste programme successful.
We clearly define ‘food loss’ and ‘food waste’ in the attached material. In short, food losses should refer to a decrease in quantity or quality, at all stages of the food chain, of food that was originally intended for human consumption. Food waste refers to removal of food, fit for consumption, from the food supply chain by choice, intentionally.
Please find attached the brochure providing more information on sending submissions for these awards (deadline 18 March 2016), as well as a copy of the official submission form. We look forward to receiving a submission from your market!
SAVE THE DATE! - October 21 - 23, 2020
November 21, 2019
36th WUWM Congress was held in Guiyang, China
November 15, 2019
The association of Germany’s fresh food markets steps up the campaign for urban diversity
October 21, 2019
Wholesale markets and the FAO: Together to feed the world with healthy and good food!
October 18, 2019
October 10, 2019