WUWM Highlights & Achievements
- WUWM pays tribute to Honorary Member and former Brussels Wholesale Market managing director, Marcel Verbelen, who passed away on 18 January 2018.
- It has been decided to hire Mr Dino Kaiopoulos to increase membership and political influence in the industry.
- WUWM welcomes two new members from Argentina: Mercado del Patio and Mercado Central de Buenos Aires.
- Mercabarna hosted the WUWM Conference in April. “Responsible and Efficient Markets” was the central theme of the conference, which attracted around 250 delegates from 25 countries.
- In addition Mr Rui Paulo Figueiredo was elected to the WUWM Board of Directors and Dr Donald J. Darnall was granted the status of Honorary Chairman for his outstanding contribution to the organization.
- European members of WUWM met in Paris to sign the European Wholesale Markets Declaration, which aims to strengthen collaboration between European markets and increase their visibility at the level of the European and international institutions.
- WUWM welcomes the following new members: Lombard et Guerin Gestion, France; Cámara Argentina de la Actividad Frutihortícola, Argentina ; Mercado Mayorista de la Ciudad de Berazategui, Argentina; Warszawski Rolno-Spozywczy Rynek Hurtowy S.A., Poland
- Love Your Local Market Committee Meeting was held in Paris to review the 2018 campaign
- Natalia Barragan, who was WUWM Executive Secretary, has left WUWM after working for the organization for the past 11 years.
- Love your Local Market Committee Meeting was held in Warsaw, Poland with thanks to Bronisze Wholesale Market.
- Haryana State Agricultural Marketing Board welcomes WUWM delegates to Gurugram, India during the WUWM Conference in October. The theme of the conference is “ The Wholesale Markets in the Digital Era: Challenges and Opportunities.”
- The host agreement was signed in Gurugram, India between Mr Zengjun Ma and the Belgrade City Markets for the upcoming 2019 Spring WWM Conference.
- The Presidents and CEOs of the most important European Wholesale Markets and National Federations Members of WUWM, met in November in Brussels expressing their common positions related to this major industry and a key link in the fresh supply chain of the E.U. to the members of the European Parliament.
- SIMAB and CAWA plan to collaborate on a National Flagship Pavillion Program which aims to promote each country’s agricultural products.